Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Books Over Time



I've been spending a lot of (re: too much) time lately on Goodreads building my "library" by going through my favorite authors one by one and adding them in.  This has forced me to realize several things: 
  • One, I read way too much.  It would probably take me years to add in all the books I've read, and I'd still miss some. 
  • Two, the photographic memory of everything I've read that I prided myself on?  It doesn't exist.  Especially when most of an author's books are more or less the same.
  • And three, my opinion of books tends to change over time.
Not the ones that I've re-read, but the ones I read once.  This didn't necessarily surprise me so much as the way my opinion changed.  I would have expected it to be steady somehow--the less I remember of a book the more I like, it for example--but it isn't.  It's totally random.  Books I barely remember I gave four stars to (?).  You'd think if I enjoyed it that much, I'd at least remember some of it.  For example, Medieval Bookworm posted a review of The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn, which I read a few years ago when it first came out, and it sounded terrible.  Yet I gave it 4 stars?  HUH.  I didn't think I'd ever liked a Julia Quinn book that much until The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

But maybe--and this is certainly a possibility--my assessment of books has become harsher the more I read.  I haz become jaded. -_-

Has your opinion of books changed unexpectedly over time?  Do you think it's because your standards have changed, or because you simply forgot what the book was about?



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...