Sunday, September 27, 2015

Last Sunday Snapshot for September

Thor has his Halloween costume ready!

Currently reading:

Flight of Magpies by KJ Charles–I wonder if Stephen will ever actually agree to leave England.

Movies watched:

art and craft movie poster
Art and Craft, starring Mark A. Landis

A profile of one of the most prolific art forgers in US history. What makes Landis unique–aside from his remarkable talent for copying works of art–is that he doesn't do it for the money. Since he donates all his forgeries, he's not even technically committing a crime. Landis is a weird little dude (imagine a cross between Truman Capote and Norman Bates and you have a good idea of how he comes across) and not charismatic by any means, but still surprisingly sympathetic. Despite his myriad Issues, he has a quirky sense of humor and an undiluted passion for art. There's not a mean-spirited bone in his body, but like any artist he wants to share his work with others. Recommend this one for people who enjoy films about art crime! I think I might have even spotted Robert K Wittman in there.

Subscription boxes:

stunner of the month


I know this will shock y'all, but I signed up for another subscription box. This one is called Stunner and it sends one pair of sunglasses every month. Yes, sunglasses! It seemed like a good idea at the time. However, I didn't really like the style of the sunglasses they sent, and they didn't fit me. After reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up I'm not much interested in keeping stuff I don't like, and I don't make enough money to just throw $10 away every month on things I'm not going to use, either. This one was a cancel for me, although if you're the type of person who is constantly buying new sunglasses I'd say try it.

le tote


And another Le Tote! Kind of a mixed bag. I was hoping to get some stuff I could take to Ireland, but I think I might just send it back and put my account on pause for a week, instead, as the only thing I'd take here is the checkered driving coat. The purse was a disappointment and the long sleeved shirt doesn't fit.

caution glossy box


Oh! And I almost forgot: Beware of Glossybox. When I canceled my subscription I was informed I would still be getting–and therefore paying for–my October box because I had canceled after the 15th of September. Since the boxes are mailed out the third week of every month, it would have been kinda illogical for me to cancel my first box before the 15th, when they hadn't even shipped yet. Glossybox won't accept returns, even unopened, because of "food and health regulations." Yeah, that's plausible.

So basically, if you sign up for Glossybox, you're committing to 2 months and $42 whether you like it or not. What a racket, especially considering I could get 4 months worth of Birchbox or Ipsy for that much AND be able to cancel at any time.

This week in heidenkindom:

And speaking of Ireland, this will most likely be my last Sunday Snapshot for a while, as I'll literally be up in the air the next two Sundays flying to and from Dublin. But I'll be back mid-October with (hopefully) plenty of awesome pics and things to report.

I spent the week getting ready to go by pre-packing (I do love packing for a trip) and taking care of belated appointments, which caused a mild panic attack when I realized I really do need to find a doctor. The doctor I'd had since I was eight retired a few months ago. If you're ever tried to find a PCP who will accept new Medicaid patients, you know how much fun that is; plus I'm more than a bit nervous about trusting my health care to a stranger. Still haven't found anyone.

Bonus:

My interest in the pre-Voldy lives of Lily and James Potter is minimal-bordering-on-DGAF, but I have to admit this webcomic series based on Tumblr questions about them is kinda adorable. Plus, Snape makes an appearance!

snape
Gratuitous Snape pic.




Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...