Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Snapshot is Sick of Winter Already

Raggedy dogs taking over a chair.

Currently Reading:

The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer: I haven't had a lot of luck with Heyer's books in the past, but I'm enjoying this one so far.

Artistic License by Elle Pierson: The clothing descriptions are driving me legit nutso–I swear to god the author is obsessed with jackets–but the story is drawing me in nonetheless.

Posted:

10 movies for wine lovers on Netflix and Prime, plus an American abroad's guide to wine in Japan.

Movies:

dior and i
Dior and I, directed by Frédéric Tcheng

At first you might assume that the "I" of the title Dior and I is Raf Simons, who became the creative director of Christian Dior in 2012. In fact, however, the title refers to Dior himself and how he felt split between his life as a regular guy and the head of a fashion house.

One of the things I really love about this movie was how it doesn't present haute couture fashion design as the vision of one man, or woman. Instead, as one of the Dior seamstresses put it, the real heart of a fashion house lies in its atelier, the people who physically create the clothes that go down the runway or are sold to clients. Many of these women and men work at the same house for over forty years, and they're the ones who train the next the generation in how the clothes are made, the aesthetic and design philosophy of the house. It seems incorrect to call them mere tailors or seamstresses; instead, they're really incredibly skilled artisans without whom the house's designer–or creative director, in this case–would be completely dead in the water. As one of the women in the Dior atelier said, "He [Simons] might tell me to change something, but that's just an edit. This my work, my dress. I'm the one who made it."

Anyway, it's a pretty fascinating peek into the world of Paris fashion houses and how big runway shows are put together.

This week in heidenkindom:

January has been a total drag so far. First, I went to the dentist and he told me I have cavities. Admittedly, the last time I went to the dentist George W Bush was president, but it still came as a shock. Then I had an ingrown toenail that hurts like a MF. Not to mention it's cold as shit outside.

But on the plus side, I did finish a really good book, Act Like It. I also started watching A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix and I adore it. If you're the type of person who is annoyed by people who say "literally" when they actually mean figuratively, this is the TV series for you!



That's all for this week–the series finale of Sherlock is airing early. Have an excellent week, everyone!


Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...