Sunday, May 28, 2017

Sunday Snapshot for Memorial Day Weekend


Currently reading:

Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner: You've got to be really into journey books to get through this one.

The Hell-Hound of the Baskervilles by GS Denning: Not as funny as the first Warlock Holmes book.

Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi: I don't intend to make any recipes from this book, but I am enjoying the pictures and learning about mid-East cooking.

Posted:

Learn about the super cool Colorado library that raised $140,000 on Kickstarter.

Movies:

moorise kingdom
Moonrise Kingdom, starring Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman

On a small mid-Atlantic island in the 1960s, two 12-year-olds decide to run away together, throwing their town into chaos.

Super charming and quirky, like most of Wes Anderson's movies. I loved the retro vibe and that all Suzy packs to run away is her kitten, kitten food, her favorite books, her brother's record player, her favorite record, a toothbrush, and extra batteries, because that is *exactly* what I would pack if I was leaving home at age 12. Edward Norton was also especially adorkable as Scout Master Ward. The only thing that was a bit of a letdown was the storm at the end, which I expected to be a bigger deal than it was due to the OTT foreshadowing. Otherwise, no complaints!

alien covenant
Alien: Covenant, starring Katherine Waterston, Michael Fassbender, and Michael Fassbender

After an accident forces the crew of the colonizing spaceship Covenant out of animated suspension, they make a pit stop on an Earth-like planet. Bad mistake or worst mistake?

When I first walked out of the theater, I was pretty enthusiastic about this movie. It surprised me because it wasn't what I was expecting, and I enjoyed the ride. But after about twelve hours to think on it, I had to reassess. It does feel like it was directed by three different people who wanted to make three different types of movies, and it does seem like it was invented purely as a vehicle for Fassbender ("The Fassbender show," as Penny put it). But. I loved the Island of Dr Moreau vibe in the middle of the film, and I was actually really impressed with Fassbender, whom I still have not forgiven for that disaster of a Jane Eyre adaptation he was in. Of course, his character's a robot, so the role really plays to his "acting" strengths.

Overall, I'd say this movie's worth watching just for the Fassbender-on-Fassbender scenes, which are weird but well-done.

nocturnal animals
Nocturnal Animals, starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal

Rich ice queen Susan receives a manuscript out of the blue from her ex-husband, whom she hasn't talked to in 20 years. It's dedicated to her and the title references their relationship, so she can't not read it. But why did he send it and what does it have to do with their failed marriage?

Not a perfect film by any means. But: 1. It looks fucking fantastic (of course it does, it was directed by Tom Ford); 2. the scenes from Nocturnal Animals (the book inside the movie) were crazy suspenseful and just awesome filmmaking; and 3. it's a very literary movie and I loved how it portrayed the experience of becoming completely engrossed in a novel.

I will say that there were a lot of loose threads left hanging, and several scenes that seemed to serve no purpose other than as fashion plates, but by far the weakest part of the movie is the ending. Ford described it as a "sad" ending, but I wouldn't call it that. It was just anti-climatic. I wish he'd found a way to up the drama and emotional impact rather than taking what felt like a lazy way out.

Still, if you enjoy classic film noir, you definitely want to watch this movie. It's a surprisingly effective blend of cynicism and romanticism, a story about revenge and living in a world where everything, even people, are disposable.

hitchcock truffaut
Hitchcock/Truffaut, directed by Kent Jones

A documentary about Truffaut's book of the same name. As some of you might know, I am pretty familiar with Hitchcock's work, so for me there wasn't much new information to be had here. I did learn Truffaut died just four years after Hitchcock (!), and I liked listening to the recordings of their interview, even if they were frustratingly tantalizing. Example: Hitchcock would be like, "When [Jimmy Stewart] stands up and sees [Judy from Vertigo] emerge from the bathroom, he has an erection. And now I'm going to tell you a very disturbing story, turn off the recorder." And then all you hear is a click and I'm like, Nooooooo, he was just getting to the good part! Now we'll never know the story!

Personally, I think this film is too "inside baseball" and self-indulgent. And hey, if you need even more evidence that Hollywood is a sausage fest, look no further. I seriously doubt the idea that maybe a woman or two should be included in this doc ever even crossed Jones' mind.

These weeks in heidenkindom:

Summer is still being a coy little bitch, I have to say. It's perilously close to June and we still have the heater on! Come on!

This past week was pretty stressful, work-wise. I've been trying to get in more exercise with spotty success. What else? Oh! Someone gave me duck eggs and they're reeeeeally good. Especially in scrambled eggs and omelettes, because the yolk-to-white ratio is higher than with chicken eggs. So they come out tasting super rich and creamy. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on some.

Bonus:

Speaking of food, I'm hosting a readalong next month of Livia Day's A Trifle Dead over at Book Bloggers International. I hope you'll join me, especially since I'm breaking the discussion format and just sharing recipes inspired by/included in the book. Yum!



Hopefully June will be better for all of us. Have an excellent week everyone!




Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...