Sunday, May 5, 2013

Great Gatsby Readalong Chapters 5-6



How excited are you for The Great Gatsby movie on a scale of one to a bazillion? I swear Gatsby takes up 80% of my brain power right now. Anyway, as I mentioned last week, my friend Becky from One Literature Nut is hosting a readalong for The Great Gatsby in preparation for the upcoming film. This week, we're discussing chapters 5 and 6, wherein Daisy and Gatsby "reconnect." If the cottage is a-rockin' don't come a knockin'!

Questions:

I'm reminded of a psychology lesson I once learned, that states that the person with the least interest in the relationship, controls it. Is that person Daisy? Is she so "secure" with Tom that Gatsby could be no more than a momentary diversion from her unhappiness? The person with the least interest in a relationship controls it? Was this psychology teacher a frat boy, perchance? One of the authors of The Rules? I think that's called playing hard to get. BUT ANYWAY—I definitely don't think Daisy's as hung up on Gatsby as he is on her. He's set her up to be the be all and end all of his happiness, which is a lot for a person to live up to. But I'm not sure she controls the relationship or even recognizes the power she has over Gatsby.

Did you have any lines that jumped out at you in these chapters? The line that made me laugh was this one:
Gatsby, pale as death, with his hands plunged like weights in his coat pockets, was standing in a puddle of water glaring tragically into my eyes.
With his hands still in his coat pockets he stalked by me into the hall, turned sharply as if he were on a wire, and disappeared into the living-room. It wasn’t a bit funny.
Sorry, Nick, but that sounds hilarious. Gatsby is so funny.
Another line that stood out to me was when Nick tells Gatsby, "I wouldn't ask too much of her, you can't repeat the past." Someone's talking but Gatsby ain't listening to youuuuuuuu.

How has your opinion of Gatsby and Daisy changed now that they have finally met again? Hm, I don't know. On one hand, Gatsby is so vulnerable in certain scenes, like the one I quoted from above, that it's hard not to feel for the guy. But on the other hand I don't think Daisy necessarily brings out the best in him; he seems obsessed with appearances and material possessions after they hook up. As for Daisy, who knows? I don't know what to think about a woman who cries over shirts. These two might be better on their own than together.



Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...