Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sunday Snapshot is Starting to Get Sick of Winter (Not That That's Much of a Challenge)

sugar boat by edouard duval-carrie
Sugar Boat by Edouard Duval-Carrié

Currently reading:

How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger: I may never be able to eat chicken again.

Party Lines by Emma Barry: Just started this one. We'll see.

Watched:

the incredible jessica james poster
The Incredible Jessica James, starring Jessica Williams

I loved Jessica Williams in this, but the romantic comedy plot felt like an afterthought.

invictus
Invictus, starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon

Not one of Clint Eastwood's better movies. The start is very slow and meandery, and there's practically no character development, so the detente between Afrikaners and black South Africans comes across as cheesy and pandering. Also, I'm kinda shocked both Freeman and Damon were nominated for Academy Awards on this film, since Freeman's performance was unconvincing and Damon had so little material to work with.

But I did enjoy learning more about South Africa and how Mandela worked to bring the country together after the end of Apartheid. We could all definitely stand to take inspiration from him and his story.

The Olympics

Normally I'm all over the Olympics, but this one was kinda blah. And don't even get me started on how NBC covered figure skating this year. RAGE INDUCING. I almost sent them an angry tweet.

These weeks in heidenkindom:

Winter has finally hit SoCO, and I'm already sick of it. Wearing a bunch of clothing is just a bummer, not to mention being stuck indoors all day.

So on the first big snow storm of the year, my mom and I went up to Springs to catch the opening of Art of Haiti: Loas, History, Memory. I became fascinated with Haitian history and art when I was a freshman in college and was assigned to do a presentation on it, so I was pretty pumped about seeing some Haitian art up close and personal.

The exhibit was okay. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and it wasn't very well organized or interpreted. But it did have some really cool pieces. Here are a few of my favorites:

Memory Window #1 by Edouard Duval-Carrié
Memory Window #1 by Edouard Duval-Carrié

Mistress Erzuile by Ralph Allen
Mistress Erzuile by Ralph Allen

"Aunts and Uncles" Tessa Mars
Aunts and Uncles by Tessa Mars

Gede at the Graveyard by Wilson Bigaud
Gede at the Graveyard by Wilson Bigaud

Millionyearseeds by Yoshitomo Saito
Millionyearseeds by Yoshitomo Saito (not part of the Haitian art exhibit but still very cool)

In other news, I'm getting ready/nervous for my trip to Paris in close to a month! I still haven't reserved the cooking classes or tours I was looking at, nor have I figured out on which days I want to do what, so I feel completely unprepared. That usually means I end up creating a spreadsheet. The night is still young.

Oh, one more thing: I gave up meat for Lent. I was on the fence about it up until the last minute, because I knew it would be difficult, but I decided to just go for it. I never realized how many calories I got from meat until I stopped eating it. By the third day I was STARVING. I'm better now, but I have to eat a lot more to stay full on this diet. Don't become a vegetarian if you don't like to eat, like, all the time. That's my advice.


Hope you all had an excellent Valentine's Day and that next week is full of fantastic things for you!



Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...