Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sunday Snapshot and Happy Dad's Day

double rainbow at sunset
A double sunset rainbow


What I'm reading right now:

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain: Andi recommended this in a Book Riot Round-Up and it sounded completely up my alley.

The Rain-Girl by Herbert George Jenkins: By the author of Patricia Brent, Spinster. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I also finished the second volume of Alex + Ada last night. Who was that guy at the very end? Am I supposed to recognize him? Can't wait for the last volume!

Reviews posted this week:

I wrote a very nit-picky, grumpy review of Hearts of Fire, as well as a Buy Borrow Bypass on books you should definitely NOT read while you're hungry.

I also posted a Reading Pathways on Tanith Lee, one of the most underappreciated sci-fi/fantasy writers of our generation (my personal opinion, obviously).

Subscription boxes received this week:

After getting no boxes for the past few weeks, on Monday I got three!

scent trunk


The one I was most excited about was Scent Trunk, which sends four sample-sized fragrances every three months, chosen based on a personality quiz. Y'all knows I love me some personality quizzes. I've never been the type of person who wears perfume, but I always wished I was, so this seemed like a great opportunity to try out different perfumes and see what worked for me.

Unfortunately, all the perfumes Scent Trunk sent me contained scents I specifically said I did NOT like in the quiz. All but one were completely awful; one even made me sneeze. Add to that a snafu with the shipping (they said I'd receive the package by Friday, by Wednesday I was still waiting and then they sent me the wrong tracking number after I emailed them), and I think this box is a cancel.

On the plus side, these awful perfumes–which aren't cheap, by the way; check out how much this one retails for–provided an opportunity for my dad to give hilarious reviews of them. They ranged from, "You smell like you've been rolling around in old lady clothes," to "What's that smell?" to, "I don't smell anything. Five stars."

rocks box


After that and the lovely Japan-themed package Anachronist sent me (thank you!), the rest of the subscription boxes were kind of anticlimactic. The Rocks Box I received has an okay sparkly floral necklace and a very small, delicate necklace that I like, but feel is a little too small. I do really love the earrings, though. They're badass.

ipsy glam bag


As for Ipsy, the Smashbox primer and nail polish are both winners. I like the shade of the eyeshadow crayon, but I do not like the application. I'd rather just use a brush or my fingers. As for the eyebrow pencil, I apparently have a mental block when it comes to applying those things, so.

Honestly I'm getting a bit bored with Ipsy. Even though I still like it and think it's a great deal, it's been almost a year. I might try out another makeup service, as long as I can find one that's also $10/month.

Theme of the week:

Kind of a strange week. I had to switch my days around at the gun store so I could do an interview, and it completely threw me off. I've spent the past three days thinking it's Saturday.

This is the time of year I think of as "Summertime Christmas": everyone's running around doing a bunch of stuff, stressed out, and acting crazy.

slow down crazy


Bonus:

Book Bloggers International has an exciting new project: we're publishing a monthly newsletter with featured events, giveaways, bloggers, and links! To receive this monthly goodness in your inbox, just fill out the short form below. As always, your information will be kept completely private and will only be used for the powers of good.




Get Book Bloggers International's Newsletter Automagically!

* indicates required






Email Format





Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...