Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sunday Snapshot Wishes She Hadn't Cleaned Quite So Much

Sunday Snapshot is where I give bites of weekly goodness. Let me know how your week went in the comments!
Sofie's starting to look like a roly-poly bear.

Can you believe it's May already? I kind of can, but keep forgetting. Time, it's a killer!


What I'm reading right now:

Almost finished with The Ladies' Paradise.

Finished Heat by Penny Reid last night (technically this morning–5 am) and started Non-Stop Till Tokyo by KJ Charles this afternoon.


Reviews posted this week:

I didn't write any reviews, but Anachronist did, of The Imitation Game!

Plus, my list of 5 great m/m romance novelists was posted this week over at Book Riot. Check it out!


Subscription boxes received this week:

rocks box


I got another Rocks Box this week and I love it! The necklace is super-delicate and pretty.

In other news, the jeans I got from Stitch Fix had some weird sticky residue in the back pockets, which I didn't realize until I stuck my phone in my pocket, as you do. The screen got covered in sticky glue, and there's still a bunch of it in there, which means I can't put my phone in my pocket. How convenient. I was super-irritated, to say the least.


Theme of the week:

This week was pretty blah. I pet-sat for a night, but otherwise I didn't do anything of interest or import.

clothing purge


Other than purge all my clothes.

I've been reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and this weekend I finally got my druthers together to initiate step one: clothing. Why did I want to do this, you ask. I'm asking myself the same thing right now, but it needs to be done occasionally I suppose.

I got rid of a ton of stuff–like 75% of my wardrobe–and the process was interesting. Kondo wants you to take all your clothes out and dump them on the floor and sort through them by category. I found this to be very effective for reasons Kondo doesn't enumerate on: one, I tend to prioritize clothes based on where I put them. "Nice" clothes go in the closet while casual or worn clothes get put in the dresser. Dumping them all on the floor democratized the whole process and made me more willing to get rid of clothes that are nice.

Secondly, if you've ever moved you've probably observed that your stuff seems to triple in volume as soon as it's out of its drawers/closet/whatever. That's exactly what happens when you dump it all on the floor; you get a really good idea of how much stuff you've got.

The after picture. No clothes!


That said, I'm not sure the process was as awesome as Kondo claims, or maybe it's just not for me. I wanted to clean and organize my room so that I could relax in it (I also have my office in my bedroom, which makes it difficult to just chill in here sometimes). But instead of making me more relaxed, when I was done I started getting incredibly tense as soon as I walked into my room! I could barely sleep last night, it was horrible, and the feeling persisted this morning. So I pulled some stuff out of the Goodwill bags and piled it all messy on my bed, and now I actually feel better. Maybe I should just embrace my inner pack rat.

Will I move on to step two: books? Probably. I mean, the bookshelves are in need of their semi-decadal purging. But I think I will get rid of them with more caution than I practiced with my clothing.


Bonus:

book blogger juneterviews


Becca is hosting "Juneterviews" this June at Book Bloggers International! Interview a blogger you don't know and make a new friend! Click on the link to sign up.


Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...