Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sunday Snapshot is Back from Ireland

I'm baaaaaack! Ireland was awesome. If you like books, history, music, booze, food, and beautiful vistas, then Ireland is the island for you. The trip went by so fast, but in a way it felt a lot longer because of how deep Ireland got under my skin. I'm already craving Guinness and missing going to the pubs. I think I might be addicted to Ireland!

In lieu of my usual Sunday Snapshot format, this week I'm going to share a few pics and trip highlights.

newgrange

Newgrange, a tomb older than the Pyramids at Giza that's aligned with the solstices.


The roofs of Belfast.


No Alibis, Belfast's (and possibly Ireland's) only crime fiction bookstore. Or so they say. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the selection, the vast majority of which actually consisted of textbooks for Queen's College. But they gave me a free tote bag and three postcards with my purchase, so it's all good.



Giant's Causeway. We got there just as the sun was setting!


The ruins of Dunluce Castle.


Traditional Irish breakfast of poached eggs, bacon, ham, tomatoes, and black and white pudding.


The Beaghmore Stone Circles. I think I've finally got the whole stone circle thing out of my system. Problemaybe.


Inside Charlie Byrne's Bookshop, Galway, which is like an Irish version of Powell's Books.


A video posted by Tasha (@tashaheidenkind) on


A pub full of craic. Galway has the best pubs.


One of the coolest things I encountered on the trip: while the town walls of Cashel were being contructed in the 13th century, a family crypt was uncovered filled with four stone sarcophagi from the 11th-12th centuries. One of the effigies (right) was of a Templar knight with legs crossed and the feet turned inward, meaning he fought in the Crusades. But his sister (left) also has her legs crossed with feet turned inward, so they think she cut her hair to pass as a boy and followed her brother to Holy Land (!). 11th century feminism, ladies and gentlemen. All the effigies in the crypt were inserted into the wall and still frame the original town gates.

Cashel also has the super-awesome Bolton Library, which I'll write about in more depth for Book Riot. It's a must-visit!


Hangin' with Oscar and Eduard.


Boxty, which is a potato-based dough used to make fries, pancakes, bread, and dumplings. This dish, Gaelic Boxty, tasted similar to chicken-fried steak with white gravy, for you Americans out there.


Tasting whiskies at the Irish Whiskey Museum in Dublin.


Trinity College


The Long Room at Trinity College Library


Sunset at Killarney National Park


Interior of The Bank on College Green, a good place for lunch and a cocktail bar that receives my seal of approval.


Marsh's Library, a bit off the Dublin tourist track but well worth the walk. Super cool 18th-century public library that's still a working library. Past patrons included James Joyce, Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift, and there are ton of awesome historical curiosities like cages readers would be locked into so they wouldn't steal the books. I'll be writing more about this library for Book Riot, as well.



That's just a small portion of the stuff we did, but I won't bore you with any more pictures (for now). I'll be back next week with our regularly scheduled programming.




Discus this post with me on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+ or in the comments below.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...