Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Bookish Holding Pattern

dante in purgatory
Dante with his book in Purgatory, Agnolo Bronzino, c. 1530

You know how planes will circle above an airport, waiting to land? Well, that's kind of where I'm at with my reading right now.

I'm currently reading a book at the pace of a snail, 0-10 pages a day. I have no desire to find out what happens next or to even continue reading it at all. Basically I'm waiting to start a book I REALLY want to read. But I'm having so much trouble getting settled into a book I don't want to start a book that I'm really looking forward to. So I just keep crawling through the book I'm not interested in, waiting for another book to come along.

Even when I do pick up the occasional book in a burst of optimism, I give up because I decide it's either really stupid or that I'm not in the mood for it. When I do finish a book, I have no opinions or feelings about it and no desire to review it AT ALL. I feel like I'm a self-imposed book Purgatory.

What's your book holding pattern, and what do you do (if anything) to snap yourself out of it?


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...