Sunday, August 9, 2009

TSS-The Junk Drawer

The Sunday Salon.com

The corner of my room where I keep my books looks like it has explodeded.

Since I'm participating in The Mystery Read-a-thon, I decided I would pull out all mystery books I have so they're all together.  Naturally they were spread out all over my bookshelf (if you had some idea that I organize my books in any way, shape, or form... no), so now the books on my bookshelf are collapsing on top of themselves, and I have piles of mystery books all over the floor in addition to all my other piles of books all over the place.

How did I become such a book glutton?  I'm seriously not acquiring any more books until my shelf is down to a manageable size.  Seriously!  Will you stop laughing, please?

Anyway, yes, the Mystery Read-a-thon.  Yesterday I read less than six hours (-ish; I lost track of time for a bit) and I'm not even half-way through my first book, which is kind of disheartening.  I am enjoying just taking time to read and not do anything else, though.  I'll do more updates when the Read-a-thon concludes.

I got back from vacation on Monday night.  If you recall, I listed a few books I was planning to take with me.  Well, here's what I actually brought:

  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase (DNF)
  • Flat-Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy (I think that's her name)
  • Ophelia by Lisa M. Klein
  • The Warrior Hier by Cinda Williams Chima
  • Emma (Vols. 1-7) by Kaoru Mori
  • What Happens in London by Julia Quinn
  • Landsman by Peter Melman
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee
  • Laura Rider's Masterpiece by Jane Hamilton
  • Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
  • Kathryn by Anya Seton
  • Need by Carrie Jones (DNF)
  • The Ruthless Italian's Inexperience Wife by Christina Hollis (DNF)
Aaaack!  It grew!

Predictably, I did not read all of these books.  Also predictably, I bought more books.  Well, the Portland Art Museum was having this super-killer sale on their exhibition catalogs--$2-5 for every one, and they usually cost between $40-60--so I really HAD to buy more books in that case.  And then we went to Powell's....

new books

I also joined several challenges when I came back.  The first was The Harry Potter Reading Challenge.  Well, I was already reading The Chamber of Secrets, so why not?!  Then there's the Japanese Literature Challenge; I was going to use Emma for that, but then I decided I would read Battle Royale for it, instead.  And I of course had to join Amy's L. J. Smith Reading Challenge.  I might have joined another challenge, too... hmm, can't remember.  Not a good sign.  I need a secretary or something.

But it's good to be home and foolishly joining new challenges again.  Plus, I actually got a job!  I haven't started it yet, but I'm happy because obviously my little problem with the books needs some sort of funding.

Now back to the readathon.


Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...