Friday, July 3, 2009

My Favorite Reads: The Broken Sword

my favorite reads

My Favorite Reads is a weekly meme that asks you to blog about your favorite books from the past, hosted by Alyce from At Home With Books. I'm probably posting this on the wrong day, but... oh well (I know; I'm such a rebel ~_^).

the broken sword cover
The Broken Sword by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy

I read this book when I was senior in high school. My mom got it for me (one of her many attempts to get me to stop reading romance novels), and I expected it to be super-boring. Instead, it was super-awesome with a topping of OMG best book evarrrrrrr.

The story is about the Once and Future King, aka Arthur, who's been reincarnated and is a fourteen-year-old boy living in the present (circa 19... um, when I was in high school). Since he's an orphan, he's being looked after by ex-FBI agent, Hal (Galahad reincarnated), and Taliesin (Merlin). The book opens with a bang, literally, as a bazaar in Morocco fills with gunfire and explosions. A young, blind girl named Beatrice touches a cup, and suddenly she can see again! And there's a whole bunch of other people chasing after the cup, too. And the Knights of the Round Table cross time to appear in the present, and Lancelot is INSANELY sexy!

One thing about this book that you should know is, it is a follow-up to The Forever King, which I hadn't read. I think that actually worked in the book's favor. I had no idea what was going on--but I wanted to find out. Being totally in the dark about the history of the characters at the beginning helped make their backstories more mysterious and the reveal more rewarding, and let my imagination fill in the blanks. Plus y'all know what a fan of the wtf I am.

I loved the world of this book. It took me a day to read the last fifty pages because I did not want this book to end. I just wanted to live in it forever and have tiny little book babies with it. I felt like I was friends with all the characters. The action is pretty non-stop, so it's a fairly quick read; but it's getting to know the Knights of the Round Table and all their personalities that really makes this book enjoyable.

My mom was gratified I loved a non-romance book so much. Little did she know this book is chock full of the love story of Lancelot and Guinivere, and Hal and another woman (no, Guinivere is never reincarnated--I think she's suffered enough). Good try, though, Mom. :)




Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...