Thursday, September 24, 2009

10 Books to Read Before You Die

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Pam at Bookalicio.us has a question for us... what ten books should you read before you die?  And by "you" I imagine she means you, the reader, as opposed to me--because how else would I know you should read them?  But on the other hand, you could say I've read them so you don't have to, so maybe I should include books I haven't read but think I should before I die (also, I was having trouble thinking of books).

Books I Haz Read:

Jane Eyre

As I've mentioned maybe once or a billion times, this is my favorite book.  EVER.  It's not just romantic and a great story, but it's about a woman finding complete independence and then love. *sigh*

The Age of Innocence

Another painfully romantic book.  I sat down to read the first 30 pages for class... and didn't get up again until 3 AM, when I had finally finished the entire thing.  Great book!  It's about another woman determined to find independence and the man who just can't go there.

The Great Gatsby

I didn't really understand this book until I was older (I read it in high school).

Pride & Prejudice

There's a reason why this book has endured through two centuries and is still popular.  When I read it, it's like visiting with friends.  Plus about half of the romance novels and movies are based on it these days, so it's a must-read if you like that kind of stuff.

The Phantom of the Opera

Again, great story and wonderful characters (well, except for Raoul, he's an ass).  Definitely worth the read, especially if you enjoy anything Gothic, romantic, or Victorian.  And it's much better than you would expect based on the musical.

Things Fall Apart

This well-crafted story story by Achebe is all about how fear can rule people's lives.  Personal revelations, anyone?

To Read Before I Keel Over:

The Lord of the Rings

I did start this series once upon a time.  But do I really need a sixty-page treatise on hobbits?  COME ON, Tolkien, give me something to work with here.

The Italian

I should really read something by Ann Radcliffe someday.  Really.

Thus Spake Zarathustra

I feel borderline-guilty for admitting this, but I have never read Nietzsche.  The guilty part is from the fact that the guy I did my thesis on was obsessed with him.  Yet I couldn't quite force myself to observe proper research etiquette and read this book.

Vasari's Lives

The original art historian, Vasari wrote all about his buddies Michelangelo, Raphael, and many other Renaissance artists.  As of yet, I have not been forced to read him comprehensively.  Thank god.

What would your list of 10 books to read before you die look like?



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...