Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Making a Soufflé



This week, I suddenly became obsessed with making a soufflé. Why? I don't know. I had never actually eaten a soufflé before, but I decided had to make one. (Note: If you can't see the imbedded video, click here. I apologize for the poor sound quality and the watermark; apparently that's what happens when you try to convert wmv files to mpeg4 using freeware. My camera man had the day off. ;)

As we all know from classic movies, soufflés are difficult to make. I decided to try Alton Brown's recipe for a basic cheese soufflé. A soufflé is basically egg yolk batter mixed with egg white foam, to make it fluffy. Because the egg foam is unstable and incompatible with egg yolk (kind of like water and vinegar), making a souffle is technically difficult.

It took me over an hour to make the three mini-soufflés, but I think they turned out pretty well. They were tasty, and actually all that work was kind of worth it. That being said, I think having someone make a soufflé for you is the better part of valor. :)

What's the most difficult thing you've ever tried to cook or bake?

weekend cooking gifWeekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...