Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

adoration of jenna fox cover

Find this book at an independent bookseller near you (via IndieBound).

This is a great book.  Everyone needs to go out and read it.

Sometime in the not-very-distant future, 17-year-old Jenna Fox awakes from a coma.  She can't remember anything about herself or her past, but she has Walden memorized backwards and forwards.  She was in a terrible accident, or so her parents tell her, but she has no scars or injuries.  Jenna knows something is wrong.  Her entire world is shrouded in mystery--not only herself, but her neighbors, family, friends, and even environment are not at all what they appear to be.  Does Jenna have the courage to face a world shaped by fear, conceit, and greed?

This short little book packs quite a punch--I can guarantee that you'll be thinking about it for days after you finish it.  Plus, it's an enjoyable read, with a certain odd, Nancy-Drew-ish charm to it (if Nancy had ever been violated the way Jenna was).  Although I thought certain storylines needed to be fleshed out more, and that the last quarter of the book dragged a bit, overall it was a surprisingly compelling read. 

The ending of the novel is what really got me--it went in a direction I wouldn't have expected based on the first half.  To be honest, I found portions of the conclusion difficult to believe.  But at the same time, I think if it had gone the way I wanted it to my heart, it wouldn't have been so convincing or powerful.

And can I just take a quick moment to say how much I love the cover?  It's attractive, but at the same time you have no idea what it means until you read the book.  All covers should be like that (PS--the paperback cover sucks).

The Adoration of Jenna Fox deals with a lot of themes--purity, freedom, life, what makes us human, even good and evil to a certain extent--in the framwork of a compelling story.  I can definitely see this book becoming a classic along the lines of Fahrenheit 451.  It's a must-read!

A few other opinions:
Hey Lady! Watcha Reading?
My Friend Amy
Books and Movies
You've GOTTA Read This!
There are many more reviews out there, but these are the ones that influence me to read this book when I otherwise I wouldn't have. So thank you, ladies!!!



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...