Tuesday, March 2, 2010

North & South

thornton about to kiss margaret

North & South*

I finally gave in to peer pressure and watched North & South, of famed Richard Armitage hotness.  And I have to say--peer pressure can lead to good things!

Margaret Hale is from the south of England, where everything is peaceful and warm.  Then her foolish father gets angry at the new bishop and quits his job.  For some reason, they move to an industrial town in the north of England called Milton (Milltown?), where everything is busy and noisy and people are not very nice.  Margaret is looking for a house to rent, when she sees a cotton mill owner, Mr. Thornton, beat up one of his workers for smoking during his break, then cruelly fires him.  This does not give Margaret a very high opinion of Mr. Thornton--which is too bad, since she sees him everywhere.  Seriously, it's like the guy is stalking her.  And he's very cute, although obviously pig-headed; but still, even though he annoys her, Margaret can't help but feel an itsy bitsy bad every time she gives him the set-down he deserves. 

*dreamy sigh*

I don't want to spoil the plot or anything, but it's basically a rip-off of Pride & Prejudice.  That being said, it's an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable rip-off, mainly because of the walking, talking, breathing SEX that is Richard Armitage.  *fans self*  RAWRL.  He makes this miniseries as Mr. Thornton.  He is such a great actor!  Also, the character of Mr. Thornton is bizarrely similar to the hero of a Lisa Kleypas novel--Derek Craven from Dreaming of You.  It's honestly like Derek went straight from Kleypas' book onto the screen of my TV.  That has never happened to me before, but I like it!  I want moar!

Okay, favorite moments:
  • When Margaret is walking through the cotton mill for the first time and the bits of cotton are swirling around her like snow--it's like Alice walking into Wonderland.
  • When Mr. Thornton says, "I always knew I wasn't good enough for her, and now I love her more than ever."  Awwwwwww.
  • When Margaret is leaving Milton and Mr. Thornton watches her carriage drive away and says, "Look back, look back at me."  I thought my heart was going to break!  Why didn't she look back???
  • The train scene! *swoon* *sigh!*

So yes, I've officially become a Crusader for North & South and a total Armitage fangirl.  Everyone who gushed about this miniseries was completely right and I think everyone needs to watch this now!!11!!!!!1!

I also kind of want to read the book.

*Um, go to Amazon and buy this right now, 'kay?


Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...