Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

hex hall cover

Side note:  I know I should have reviewed this book before I posted Colette's and my discussion about it, but I was tired. So there you have it.

Hex Hall is a fun, funny YA novel about witches with all the tropes of a high school movie--including the popular hot guy, the bitchy popular girls, a big dance (LOVE big dances, by the way!), and untrustworthy adults.

Sophie has never fit in at school, mainly because she's a witch.  When an attempted spell goes awry, The Council--an organization dedicated to regulating supernaturals--decides to send Sophie to Hecate, or Hex, Hall, which is basically a reform school for witches, fairies, shifters, etc., who abuse their powers.  This is the first time Sophie has socialized with people like her, and she quickly realizes she has a lot to learn--especially about her own heritage.

The novel is a very quick read, full of laugh-out-loud moments and one-liners.  It's not exactly original, but it rehashes familiar tropes in a pleasantly comfortable way.  Although I didn't fall in love with this novel, I do think it has potential as the start of a series.  Most of the plot lines in the book didn't feel fleshed out or weren't explored in-depth; as a result, the book felt a little draggy even if it was short.  However, I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about the characters and the other supernaturals in the next books.

The main reason why I picked this book up is because Pam from Bookalicio.us told everyone on twitter that they HAD to buy it.  While I don't think it's a run-out-right-now-and-get-it book, it's worth checking out if you want a light read that will make you laugh and give you a little magic and romance.

Shop Indie Bookstores



Powered by ScribeFire.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...